Saturday, July 7, 2012

Call Me Maybe "Matt"

The first weeks in Texas went great. I quickly adjusted to my new apartment and the Texas way of driving. The 45 orientation leaders I work with welcomed me and make me feel at home as they visited me in my office. These same students are also the reason I now have five new nicknames. My coworkers also welcomed me and made me feel part of the team. Two ladies I work with have adopted me and made it their mission to find me a husband.

My second week at work they presented the first candidate. We were in the middle of a training session in which the candidate was the presenter. She looked over at me and said so what do you think about “Matt”. However, she said it loud enough for the whole room to hear. So my introverted nature kicked in and I started freaking out and replied as quickly as possible can we discuss this later. We talked about it a little more the next day and I agreed I would go on a date with him if he was interested. Well nothing was developing and apparently I still had lots of courage left from stepping out of my comfort zone and moving to Texas. Which can only lead to one thing, a BOLD Kelly. The next week I was sitting at my desk listening to Pandora and the song “Call Me Maybe” came on. Now, please understand this was before the song went viral and everyone from baseball teams to the President was singing it. So I emailed my coworker and said wouldn’t it be funny if I emailed Matt some of these song lyrics and gave him my phone number. Well turns out she loved the idea and went as far as to say I will pay you to do that. After lots of emails she had convinced me to send it. Please remember from above I’m an introvert and this is NOT something I would typically do. So this was a HUGE deal for me to push the SEND button and say to Matt . . .

Have you heard the newer song, “Call Me Maybe”? Well there are some lyrics I wanted to share with you . . .

“Hey, I just met you,
and this is crazy,
but here's my number,
so call me, maybe?”

XXX-XXX-XXXX J ha-ha
            Happy Wednesday,
            Kelly

Well as soon as I hit the send button my coworker’s phone was ringing and Matt was asking her what she has done. Lots of laughter filled her office. It was not until two days later that I received a text from Matt. We texted back and forth for two weeks. But turns out I’m not Matt’s type. I have my theories why that is, but they are just my theories.
If for some reason you have not watched the original music video for the song check it out. And be careful who you ask to call you maybe – they may not be your type. J

9 comments:

  1. Time to fill in ....the rest of the story as the Texas life progresses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog--love it! I totally understand that "oh crap" feeling in moving--that was us when moving to Maryville. You'll never regret it! Sounds like Texas is working out wonderfully for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Candice, yes no regrets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just laughed out loud thinking about you actually writing this email! Totally not like you at all, but how courageous of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you said courageous and not crazy. haha Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  5. This is awesome! I can totally picture you saying, "can we talk about this later?"....I can't picture you sending the e-mail, but I'm glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courageous and adventurous! YOLO!

    ReplyDelete